Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Turning the corner...

Finally turned the corner on my restoration project!  Can't tell you how good it feels to be constructing instead of destructing.

 Steel work is done! 80% new steel.  New ribs, hitch coupler, step, tank supports, etc.  Everything looks great and is mostly square:)  I say mostly because the galvanized ribs in on either side of the wheel wells were a little tweaked and I got them close but not perfect.  One turned out being 3/8" bigger than the other. Everything else is surprisingly perfect.  Like within 1/16" end to end.  BIG SHOUT to my friend Adam Pfiffner (Bloxx & Pfiffner Design Build) who is renting me shop space & helping me get the hard parts right.  Like installing the axles - his design, layout, & welds are perfect. He's the one that helped me with hard and important stuff like axles, hitch, steel design, etc.   

Now starting to install the wood floor.  I went with 5/8" marine plywood (AB) and then coated both sides and edges with smith's two part epoxy.  Very happy with the smiths product.  Using two kinds of fasteners from vintage trailer supply.  one is a bolt through and the other requires a drill & tap.




Floor is all cut and almost done with the smiths epoxy coating.  Must admit, I'm nervous about the shell fitting my curved corners.  The front should be very close because I was able to save sections of the old floor to use as templates.  The rear floor was so rotten that I had to guess.  

 Finalizing my floorplan.  This is the fun part!  Originally, I was going to work around the existing floorplan and infrastructure to make it work for our family of 4.  Going the full monty means I have total flexibility to do whatever I want - & that's pretty cool.  Here's a simple sketch of my design.

Laying out the floorplan with masking tape.  This was awesome to see it lifesize for the first time.  

















 Installing the plumbing.  Bath is giving me the most headaches.  I want to do a wet bath over the wheel well.  Why doesn't someone make a kit?  I've looked everywhere and can't find one - so playing with ideas to build my own.  you can see a fiberglass pan here but I'm not going to use it.  After consulting Kent @ Blue moon, I've decide to bite the bullet and go with custom stainless pan & fabrication.  Then I'll do teak or similar accents.

No comments:

Post a Comment